HomeAbouteTopaz.comNews & Events

Friday, May 6, 2011

Social Media Version 2.0?


I’ve been thinking more and more about social media lately, specifically some changes I’ve noticed. I think part of my attention has been focused on this due to the recent events happening in the world. When major news stories break it seems everyone has something to say about it, whether on their Facebook statuses or through Tweets. I still think one of the coolest things is finding out who the first person to live Tweet about something is right as it has happened. I think back to the first Tweet from the US Airways crash on the Hudson and the most recent Tweeter @ReallyVirtual who realized, “Uh oh, now I’m the guy who live-blogged the Osama raid without knowing it.”

One of the things I’ve been recently considering is coming out with version 2.0 of my e-book "Social Media: Tools, Applications and Measurements for the Corporate Travel Industry." Or I’m thinking instead of writing version 2.0 of that book, I may just start a new e-book about social media in general. Possibly addressing the amount of changes that have occured over the last two years. It seems so much has changed and so fast. I wrote that version less than 2 years ago and sometimes I feel social media changes on a daily basis.

Another thing about social media is that it seems everyone has an opinion on it. Frequently, those opinions are very different. Often the sites we like best or find most useful are simply personal preference, simply what we’re willing to dedicate our time too. However, the one thing I think that will always remain the same is that the ultimate goal of social media is to engage people. Whether that is current clients or just random everyday people. People remember the people and brands that engage them. They remember things that actually make them want to stop and look, listen or participate.

What do you feel has been the most engaging social media campaign so far in 2011? Recently I came across this Tostitos Facebook campaign that I think is really neat and defines engaging. What a cool way to get people involved.




No comments:

Post a Comment